Thursday, September 9, 2010

It All Came Crashing Down


As I entered work this morning, a smiling co-worker encouraged me to go upstairs to the teachers’ room right away to see “the surprise.”  Since each of us shuffle between classrooms at various times throughout the day, the teachers’ room houses permanent desks for us.  Above these are personal shelves where we each store our teaching materials.  The room is also home to communal computers, books, and extra supplies.

Bewildered and curious, I made my way up at her request.  At the top of the stairs I spotted the school supervisor and director peering into the room in question.  I leaned in behind them to catch a glimpse.  My mouth dropped open.  The walls on half of the long and narrow room which had been lined with shelves…..were no longer lined with shelves.  Instead, the wooden remains and their entire contents lay on the floor in the middle of the room.  Overnight it seemed the screws had come undone, creating a domino effect, which brought the entire unit to the ground.  

Here’s Ryan attempting to retrieve a few things from my desk.  Luckily for him, his desk is on the other wall, which was not affected.  I had to laugh as he walked across the desks to get to mine.

For those of us who were affected, our stuff was everywhere.  Following lunch and a massive clean up, the room began to look somewhat normal again.

We feel so fortunate that no one was sitting at their desks when this occurred.  By Monday morning a new shelving unit will be installed.  All of the books, files, puzzles, flashcards and tea will go back on the shelves above my desk.  And hopefully they’ll stay there.

No comments:

Post a Comment