Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Rice Cooker Banana Bread

After browsing the internet last week, I came across the idea of using a rice cooker as an "oven."  Apartments here don't have ovens, and bakeries are plentiful.  Although we did buy a small toaster oven last year, it really wasn't large enough or powerful enough to make cookies, brownies, etc.  As I continued looking into it, I came across countless web pages on the rice cooker topic, mostly aimed at college dorm dwellers.  I didn't let that offend me.  We live in a small apartment and don't have an oven.  It certainly does resemble a dorm.  Sigh.

As soon as I found this recipe and noticed the softening bananas on our counter, I decided to give it a try.

Armed with the variety of ingredients I would need (including the butter which cost me eight dollars) I began the process.

I mashed the bananas, added and mixed the appropriate flours, powders and sugars, and spooned the batter into....my rice cooker.


Fifteen minutes later the rice cooker popped up, announcing its first cycle was complete.  I peered in and observed that the batter had risen, but it didn't look anywhere near done.  The second cycle returned the same result.  

After about THREE MORE HOURS it still wasn't done baking, but did resemble and smell like, a baked good.  I took this as a good sign.  I left the rice cooker on warm overnight and in the morning, I had banana bread!

I thought it was delicious. :)  Ryan may or may not agree with me.  


Maybe I should add this book to my wish list... or at least get a toaster oven on there.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to have try that with my rice cooker! It does steamed veggies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You are quite the little housewife!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that looks so good! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete